- Name Hokkaido Nature Trail
- Lengte van pad 4,585 km, 2,849 mijl
- Lengte in dagen 230 dagen
- Traildino graad MW, Gemiddelde wandeling, trektocht
- Huttentrektocht graad T1, Wandeling
When the Nature Trails were set out in 1970 by the government, the Hokkaido Trail was not one of them. Only in 2003 the plans for one of the longest nature trails was approved. And currently it is still under construction.
Hokkaido is the northern island, about the size of Austria, relatively sparse populated (5,6 million), mountainous, with active volcanism. Moreover summers are cool, making it a better place for walking than other parts of Japan. Winter however is long and cold, so your hiking plans should point south then.
The trail explores many characteristics of the island, flatlands as well as mountains.