Lebanon is situated on the eastern shore of the Mediterranean Sea, and borders on Syria and Israel. It is a largely mountainous country, with a long but narrow low-lying coastal strip, from which foothills rise up steeply into the rugged Lebanon Mountains, also known as Mount Lebanon or the Western Lebanon Mountain Range. This mountain range runs parallel to the coast, 160 km in a north-south direction, covering the full length of the country. Its high peaks rise up to over 2500 m. and are covered in snow for several months every year. It is home to the highest mountain of Lebanon, Qurnat as Sawda (3088 m). And best of all, it has the Lebanon Mountain Trail (LMT)! This first ever 440 km long distance hiking trail of Lebanon traverses the Lebanon Mountains from north to south in 26 stages. Take a look in the Trails section.
Some parts of the Lebanon Mountains stand out. For instance the beautiful Qadisha Valley in the north, the abode of the Maronite Christians, an area with numerous hiking trails passing caves and monasteries. The same goes for the nature reserves of Shouf Cedar and Horsh Ehden, and the valley of the river Nahr Ibrahim.
Across the Lebanon Mountains towards the east is the fertile agricultural Bekaa Valley. Then another parallel range rises up, called the Anti-Lebanon Mountains or Eastern Lebanon Mountain Range. Lebanon's eastern border with Syria runs mostly along the crest of this rather arid mountain chain, and includes its high peaks Mount Hermon (2814 m) and Talat Musa (2669 m).
- Reisgids Handbook Libanon - Lebanon | Footprint
- Zo mogelijk nog betere gids dan de Lonely Planet. Vol met de praktische informatie over reizen, slapen etc. Goede verwijzingen naar websites en veel mailadressen. Zelfde soort informatie als de Lonely Planet, diepgaander met vooral meer tips in de minder bekende gebieden. Engelstalig. The perfect companion for the adventurous traveller wanting... Read more
- Reisgids Libanon - Lebanon | Bradt
- Vergelijkbare gids met de Lonely Planet, wat soberder uitgevoerd, maar veeal meer informatie. This new edition of Bradt's Lebanon remains the most comprehensive and detailed English-language guide available. In addition to its more in-depth coverage of essential background information such as history, culture and religion the guide has expanded... Read more
- Reisgids Focus Beirut - Beiroet | Footprint
- Kleine uitgave van de alom gewaardeerde Footprint guides: goede gidsen met veel praktische informatie als hotels, restaurants, openbaar vervoer en musea. Ook gedegen culturele achtergrond informatie. go for an early morning walk along the Corniche - Beirut's seaside promenade - and watch as the Mediterranean Sea laps against the rocks while the... Read more
- Reisgids Wallpaper* City Guide Beirut | Phaidon
- Wallpaper City Guides is een Engelstalige trendy reisgids voor alle leeftijden, boordevol informatie over accommodatie van middenklasse tot luxe en plaatsbeschrijvingen - kenmerk: brede cultuur en achtergrondinformatie, bondig geschreven. Wallpaper* City Guides not only suggest where to stay, eat, and drink, but what the tourist passionate... Read more
- Reisgids Globetrotter Libanon – Lebanon | New Holland
- The highly successful "Globetrotter Travel Series"; which includes Travel Guides, Travel Maps, Road Atlases, Best Of Pocket Guides and In Your Pocket Language Guides, presently covers more than 90 destinations worldwide. The Packs are excellent value, including both a guidebook and a softcover version of the fold-out Globetrotter map of the... Read more
- Reisgids Beyroutes - A guide to Beirut | Ideabooks
- Beyroutes a guidebook to Beirut, one of the grand capitals of the Middle East. Beyroutes presents an exploded view of a city which lives so many double lives and figures in so many truths, myths and historical falsifications. Visiting the city with this intimate book as your guide makes you feel disoriented, appreciative and perhaps eventually... Read more
- Simple Gestures
- The Greater Middle East poses major challenges for the United States. Yet despite decades of intense involvement in Middle Eastern affairs, most Americans still know little about the cultures of the region. ”Simple Gestures” describes one American`s efforts over forty years to better understand the society in the countries where she lived and... Read more