- Name Western Way
- Lengte van pad 179 km, 111 mijl
- Lengte in dagen 7 dagen
- Start van pad Oughterard
- Einde van pad Ballycastle
- Traildino graad MW, Gemiddelde wandeling, trektocht
- Huttentrektocht graad T1, Wandeling
Western Way, Oughterard - Ballycastle, 179 km, 7 days
Prepare for a real muddy experience, and this isn't even New Zealand. This trail explores some of the bleakest and most midge infested areas of Ireland, the west. This is the unhappy scene of the 19th century, when thousands of poor peasants died from famine, followed by an emigration wave that depopulated the area.
The Western Way starts on the shores of Lough Corrib, climbs a windy pass, descends to Killary Harbour - a pretty fjord like sea inlet. Follows a more populated area. Further north, the path enters a true wilderness area, mountains dominate the horizon, wind farms beyond, bog beneath your feet. At places, The path has been reinforced with planks. You will cross vast areas of conifer plantations. If you want a B&B for sleep, you probably have to arrange a pick up in this area.
- Oranginas, long distance hiking trails Europe April 1994
- Beoordeling 8
- Positief Moors, peat, Crough Patrick, The Twelve Bens, the fantastic Bangor-trail: slowly increasing, clumps of grass and looking for the best Western-way.……...sometimes with a lot of water, from above and on the ground, in the shoes, in everything….. emptiness........
- Negatief Some sections with asphalt
- Henk Nouws Augustus 1997
- Beoordeling 7
- Positief Emptiness.
- Negatief Midges, billions.
- Joke ter Weele Augustus 1997
- Beoordeling 6
- Positief The beautiful green landscape
- Negatief Midges and rain